The Ministry of Transport shall implement the following activities of the Single programming document:
1. priority: Encouragement of sustainable development.
1.2. measure: Development of accessibility and transport system.
1.2.1. activity: Reconstruction of the infrastructure of the state first class roads which connect main economic centers and create connection with the TEN-T network.
National program „Development of state first class roads”
The objective of the National program:
In accordance with the National program for transport development, the financing of the Cohesion Fund of the European Union is provided for development of the Trans-European road network (TEN-T). However, these investments do not solve problems of the TEN-T access roads and centres of economic development, that play an important role in the development of local economy.
The financial support by the ERDF is provided for the development of the state first class roads with the purpose to connect main economic centres with the TEN-T network and, in accordance with requirements and standards of the EU, to improve road quality, provide traffic safety and reduce harmful impact of the traffic on the environment.
Investments are necessary because the asphalt covering in many spans of the state first class roads is in bad condition (the covering does not endure loading on an axis of 11,5 tons as demanded with the instruction of the EU on weight and dimensions of vehicles), some important spans have no asphalt covering, operational term of significant amount of bridges has expired and they have become unsafe.
Implementation of the objective includes the following target programs for first class roads:
- Strengthening of the asphalt covering
- Asphalting of gravel roads
- Strengthening of bridges
- Arrangement of city transit streets
The National program project „Development of the state first class roads” is being implemented.
1.2.2. activity: Improvement of transport system in populated areas.
220.127.116.11. sub-activity: Optimization of transport system organization and traffic safety improvement in populated areas. (Open contest)
The sub-activity „Optimization of transport system organization and traffic safety improvement in populated areas” provides support to the projects that would contribute to improvement of transport communication between the TEN-T and city roads network, promote efficiency growth of traffic control system and transport system in populated areas, as well as growth of traffic safety and environmental quality.
18.104.22.168. sub-activity: Improvement of elements of traffic management in the city of Riga, traffic safety infrastructure and public transport management.
National program „National program for improvement of Riga transport system for 2004-2006”
Within the framework of the National program for improvement of traffic in the city of Riga, three short-term objectives were set forth. The objectives are arranged in order of priority:
1. Improvement of the road traffic safety and decreasing of road traffic accidents.
2. Increase or, at least, maintenance in existing level of the through-put of the street network, including Daugava crossings, providing efficient traffic and transit flow.
3. Improvement of offer of the public transport.
For attainment of the objectives the following main tasks are set forth:
1. Formation of two new Daugava crossings
2. Connection of city streets network to the TEN-T road network
3. Adoption of achievements of information technologies system for increase of traffic organization efficiency
4. Improvement of the traffic through-put on the crossroads and streets
5. Launch of the high-speed low-floor tram
6. Launch of the passenger information system
As the volume of the ERDF funding available to the city of Riga is limited, the construction of a new Daugava crossing will be implemented with the financing of the Cohesion Fund, creating interaction of the private and state capital. The launching of the high-speed low-floor tram will be carried out by means of other measures of the ERDF.
Short-term objectives of city of Riga comply with the objective of the Latvian Single Programming Document (priority 1, measure 2) to improve quality and efficiency of the transport infrastructure, ensuring sufficient capacity of increasing passenger and transport flow and reducing negative influence on the environment. The implementation of these activities will be will be financed by the ERDF.
The projects and relevant activities initiated by the city of Riga comply with indicative activities of the Single Programming Document (priority 1, measure 2) that prescribe:
- Improvement of connection between main economic centres and the TEN-T network
- Growth of transport system efficiency in populated areas
- Development of traffic management system, increase of traffic safety and increase of public transport exploitation
National program projects:
1) „Modernization and development of traffic lights system and creation of the subsystem of traffic lights management” (1st stage)
2) „Two-level crossing of Brīvības gatve and Juglas street”
3) „Creation of the system of bus traffic organization and monitoring on the basis of GPS„
4) „Reconstruction of the junction of K.Valdemāra street and Daugavgrīvas street”
5) „Reconstruction of the crossing of Tadaiķu street and Valdeķu street”
6) „Reconstruction of Augusta Deglava street (including the roundabout of Kaivas street, Augusta Deglava street, Lubānas street)”
7) „Construction of the Eastern arterial road span Gaujas street - Meža prospekts” (1st stage)
1.2.3. activity: Improvement of the seaport infrastructure and sea coast accessibility.
National program „National program for reconstruction and development of common hydrotechnical constructions of Latvian small ports (2004 - 2006)”
The objective of the program is the reconstruction of common hydrotechnical constructions (piers) in the seaports of Skulte and Mērsrags in compliance with the Single Programming Document (priority 1, measure 2, activity 3).
The co-financing of the ERDF (2004 - 2006) in the sector of transport is provided mainly for such projects of transport infrastructure, that will provide connection to the TEN-T networks, thus encouraging economic development and accessibility of regions. It is planned to use the financing for development of the TEN-T elements that will not have the possibility to attract financing of the Cohesion Fund because of their insufficient volume. The project of renewal and development of hydrotechnical constructions of seaports is one of the most important projects.
Among the relevant activities the following activities are mentioned as well: improvement of seaports infrastructure, increase of the sea coast accessibility, renewal and development of seaports hydrotechnical constructions and reconstruction and modernization of navigation equipment.
- „Reconstruction of the Northern mole in the seaport of Mērsrags” (1st stage)
- „Reconstruction of the Southern mole in the seaport of Skulte”
1.2.4. activity: Modernization of the rolling-stock of Riga short-distance railway passenger transportation.
National program „National program for development of Riga short-distance railway passenger transportation 2005 – 2013”
The objective of the National program „Development of Riga short-distance railway passenger transportation” is to provide agglomerations of Riga with qualitative and accessible transport services. In order to achieve this objective the following short-term and long-term objectives are set forth.
The short-term objectives of the National program „Development of Riga short-distance railway passenger transportation” :
1. Improvement of passenger train traffic safety and quality of passenger transportation service
2. Improvement of working conditions of the railroad staff
3. Carrying out of preliminary study for the project of the next programming year „Purchase of new electric trains”
The long-term objective of the National program is to work out the plan of measures for the project of purchase of new trains in the following planning period.
For achievement of the short-term objectives the following main tasks are set forth:
1. Modernization of rolling-stock of passenger trains
2. Arrangement of the research „Purchase of new electric trains” and generalization of the research results.
The above-mentioned objectives and tasks comply with the Single Programming Document (Development Plan 2004 - 2006), in the section "Public transport" of which it is stated that:
1. The railway is an integral part of the public transport.
2. It is planned to use the ERDF funding for modernization of the trains rolling-stock.
3. Due to the middle age of the rolling-stock of passenger trains the situation can`t be solved only by the purchase of new trains. Therefore it is planned to purchase new trains and modernize existent train wagons in compliance with the EU safety and quality standards.
Having reviewed the development of the public transport, the Development Plan emphasizes the improvement and accessibility of transport system in all of Latvia.
The existing railway system and its disposition in the territory of the country may serve as the means for achievement of objectives put forward in the Development Plan. The railway is one of the most accessible, ecological, cheap and fast types of transport. Having rationally estimated the importance of railway transportation in each region and having defined priorities of regional development, it is possible by means of the railway to solve the problem of uneven regional development and excessive concentration of the population.
One of priorities of the Development Plan is the development of the environmentally friendly transport system.
In comparison with indicators of the road transport air pollution that comprises 90 % of all transport pollution, the negative influence of the railway transport is the smallest - 7 %. When analyzing by the types of the rolling-stock, it is necessary to emphasize, that this indicator is related mainly to the diesel-engine railway transport (diesel-engine trains and locomotives) as electric trains practically do not cause air pollution.
All the objectives set within the frames of the National program comply with the Single Programming Document that emphasizes the value of the train traffic and its indispensability in agglomeration of Riga and public transport networks in the city of Riga. The document emphasizes also the service age and the necessity of modernization of the rolling-stock by purchasing new trains and repairing existing train cars. Knowing the existing problem of incompatibility of the EU railways, it is reasonable to include purchase of new trains in the following planning period when the opportunities to purchase a new rolling-stock will be more certain and the tendencies of modernization of the infrastructure in Latvia will be known.
Projects of the National program:
1) „Modernization of existing electric trains cars”
2) „Preliminary study for the project „Purchase of new electric trains””
1.3. measure: Development of information and communication technologies.
1.3.3. activity: Development of information and communication technologies in geographically remote areas by expanding high-quality broadband networks.
The National program of the Structural Fund „Development of high-quality broadband networks in geographically remote areas” has been agreed by the ERDF management committee on June 28, 2006 and confirmed by the Ministry of Transport on July, 19th, 2006.
1. The National program „Development of high-quality broadband networks in geographically remote areas”;
2. The draft of the National program "Development of high-quality broadband networks in the rural areas”;
3. The second appendix of the project of the National program. The budgetary estimate.